W2K Boot up

Tycho 23:08 17 Feb 2005

I have recently been resinstalling W2K and find that I am given the option at start up to load Wndows 2000 or another Windows 2000. I then have 30s to decide which one I want. I don't need the option or want to need to hit return to avoid the 30s wait. What's going on? As far as I know I only installed it once so why does the computer think that I have 2 lots?!

T

hugh-265156 23:43 17 Feb 2005

not sure exactly and i have xp but try this it should be the same.

open control panel and click 'system/advanced/start up and recovery/settings' then untick 'time to display list of operating systems' that should stop the screen displaying.

THE TERMINATOR 00:02 18 Feb 2005

Did you re-install on top of your old win2k or into another folder like c:\Windows001? If you installed into another folder then you have two operating systems, you will have to delete one of them....TT

Tycho 16:58 18 Feb 2005

I used huggyg71's advice and no it only waits for a second before moving on and loading up.

In answer to the terminator's queries, I completely reformatted the HD reducing to 1 partition using the options on the startup floppies and CD so I really can't say how I managed to get two copies on the computer if indeed I did. I will see if I can track down the other copy if it exists. You say delete one of them. From Widows explorer? Sounds a bit risky to me...

T

TomJerry 17:03 18 Feb 2005

control panel, system, advanced, startup

Tycho 23:05 18 Feb 2005

I have had a look on the C drive and can find nothing relating to a separate copy of W2K. I am at a loss as to why I should have the option of starting one W2K or the other!

Its no particular bother now, though since it does not hang around waiting for a response.

T

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?