VPN Monitoring

recap 08:53 04 Nov 2005

I was asked to look at an organisations network, to see if I could find out why at times application error messages where coming up stating "The application is already in use".

On looking over the server (Windows 2003) I descovered that a VPN server had been setup, this is without the managers consent. I found out who had been given Access.

Now before the manager approaches the staff member, I was wondering if there is an application that can detect when someone has gained access via the VPN connection. This would then give the manager proof that this staff member has gained access without authority, before disiplinary proceedings occur.

Taff™ 08:48 05 Nov 2005

Which VPN software are they using? Surely this has a log system. Alternatively the server may have a log. At a former company we used a very cheap and cheerful system and that came with a complete logging system that even showed which computer was logged on to which website and exactly who had logged on to the system with times and IP addresses to identify the computer in use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017