vpn connection issue

robert01 20:29 13 Apr 2010

I have had problems connecting to the internet for weeks. The lights are green for phone and internet on my belkin modem, when I go to 'network and sharing centre' it shows that I am connected but I can't even get onto google.

The only way I can connect is to open my work vpn connection ( but not actually go the next step into my work desktop ) and then when I click on internet explorer or outlook everything is fine.

This has only happened recently and I have had this vpn connection for months.

Windows Vista / talktalk / belkin modem / avg

Any ideas please how to fix this as the vpn is a bit flaky so the connection constantly drops.

PalaeoBill 11:26 14 Apr 2010

It could be down to TCP/IP settings, i.e. that your vpn connection is overriding the local default gateway settings.
If you look under Tools>Internet Options>Connection in IE what do the 'dial up and virtual private network' settings show and is anything configured under 'proxy server'?
Also you can open a command prompt (Start->run and type in command. This will open a window giving you a Dos prompt. Type in the word ipconfig and press the enter key. You will now see your IP address, subnet mask and Default Gateway address. The Default Gateway address should be that of your local router/modem. If it isn't then thats your problem.

To have a look at your local connection TCP/IP settings. Start->Connect To->Show All Connections>
Right click on local area connection, select properties and then 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)' under the general tab. Under properties, general tab, is it set to 'Obtain an IP address automatically'?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017