VPN Connection

JBX22 01:41 30 Jan 2008

Hi, by some miracle I have configured the router at work to let me access files there. Also (eventually) configured client at home to let me in.

Got an erro message saying the server wasn't accessible - clicked again - viewed and saved documents.

Tried to log in again can't do it - logs in, authenticates and shows me the server in 'my computer' but keeps saying "S:\\ is not accessible. Network path not found" (even though it let me in a while ago and no settings etc changed. Any ideas greatfully received.

Thanks
JBX22

mgmcc 20:33 30 Jan 2008

<<< "S:\\ is not accessible. Network path not found" >>>

Have you "mapped a network drive" to the remote computer? If so, can you instead type the path to the remote computer directly into the address bar in "My Network Places"?

JBX22 01:59 31 Jan 2008

Hi, Have tried to do this and have created new connection from scratch, but no joy.

I'm sure I'm not doing something really, really,basic.

At work in Windows Explorer I click on the S:\\ drive and see all the shared files. I'm clicking on this at home is this right? It did let me in a couple of times?

But even if I create a new connection and click that it says it is not visible. This is not visible in Windows Explorer.

I think part of the problem may be I'm not sure how to access the work server - how do I actually open files? Nestowrkplaces/Exporeer etc??

Thanks
JBX22

JBX22 01:37 01 Feb 2008

Hi, Progress - My Windows XP firewall is turned off anyway, because Norton wants it that way.

If I go into Norton and turn off the firewall (15 mins) then I can connect to the network right away. If I turn it back on after I connect it seems to be ok.

Is this Firewall on/off safe? The host I'm dialing into is also running Norton and a Vigor router.

Thanks
JBX22

mgmcc 08:20 02 Feb 2008

If your own computer is connected to a router, rather than directly to the internet via a modem, you will be protected by the router's "hardware" firewall and disabling the Norton firewall shouldn't cause a problem.

What the router's firewall doesn't do is to control which applications in your computer are allowed to access the internet, i.e. *outgoing* traffic. This is why it is recommended to run a software firewall too.

JBX22 10:59 02 Feb 2008

Hi mgmcc,

Thanks for the answer. Yes I'm connected via a BT Voyager 205 that came free with the Broadband.

I don't expect to use the connection that much so I guess I'll stick to the Norton on off and see how we go.

Cheers
JBX22

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?