Voyager 105 ADSL modem

johnem 21:25 02 Nov 2005

Hi gang, back for a little more advice. I have just upgraded to broadband using the above USB modem. What a difference, brilliant. However, despite setting the ADSL modem as the default device in Network Places, upon restarting puter, system defaults to the BTConnect dial up settings. I have tried deleting the BT conection from the system, only for it to re-appear on restarting. Is there a way of locking the default on the ADSL connection? I am running Windows XP Pro(SP2). Any ideas please?

Splork 22:43 02 Nov 2005

Is there any BTConnect software running that reinstates the default? If you aren't using the dial up connection, try disabling the modem via Device Manager.

Djohn 22:54 02 Nov 2005

Hello johnem. Although you are using Broadband because it is still through a BT line, it still gets referred to as a dial-up account in your connection settings. Nothing to worry about, but you should be able to make the Icon with the modem show as the default connection.

I have the option of the modem itself or the name of my Provider. I think it may have something to do with the way you set up the account in the first instance, but as I say above, don't worry, its still using the B/B,no matter what Icon is showing as default.

johnem 23:15 02 Nov 2005

Thanks Splork and Djohn, I do have the BT ICM software installed and that could be presetting BT connect as tehe default connection. I will try to uninstall it first. The normal dial up modem cannot connect as there is no line from the modem now as this has been re-used on the ADSL modem. Will let you know how I get on.

woodchip 23:22 02 Nov 2005

If you remove the old Dial-Up Wire it cannot connect through that and will be forced to use the USB BB

johnem 23:50 02 Nov 2005

Hi woodchip, have just uninstalled the BT ICM software. Problem solved. Thanks for the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?