Volume & Safely Remove Icon Missing at Startup

OldRed 00:31 04 Dec 2010

Hi,
Every time i start my computer (Windows XP Pro Media Centre ) the volume & safely remove icon situated near the clock are missing.

Although I know how to restart them its a pain and time consuming. Once i have restarted them they will stay there until I close down the computer but the next time I boot up the pc they are gone again.

Any ideas welcomed
Regards
OldRed

lotvic 01:32 04 Dec 2010

check that you have not got 'Hide inactive icons' ticked
rightclick on 'Start' > 'Properties' and choose 'Taskbar' tab and it is the bottom box

if it's not that then there must be some other reason that it is not remembering your setting are you clicking on 'Apply' and 'OK' when you restart them via Control Panel?

OldRed 20:39 04 Dec 2010

Hi lotvic,

Thanks for responding but yes i have done everything you have mentioned.

I have tried restarting both icons then running disk cleanup followed by running disk defragmenter but no joy.

OldRed

OldRed 20:49 04 Dec 2010

The only other thought i have is that there is a program running at start that is stopping these two items from starting if thats possible, but i have not installed any new programs for a long time unless a windows update is responsable.

lotvic 22:12 04 Dec 2010

Try doing it through
rightclick on Taskbar > 'Properties' > Taskbar tab and at bottom put a tick in 'Hide inactive icons' (so that the greyed out 'Customize' button becomes active) > click on 'Customize' then on the 'Volume' and in dropdown options choose 'Always show'
ditto for 'Safely Remove Hardware'
see if that makes any difference, it's got me puzzled.. you could try some of the suggestions click here for Registry fixes.

robin_x 22:24 04 Dec 2010

Workaround for Safely Remove is right click the device in My Computer and select Eject.

My Volume frequently goes missing (W7 64 Home)
and I googled volume missing icon for a shed load of useful but not successful suggestions.

I gave up since mine reappears after a reboot usually. Will fix it anon.

QuizMan 22:37 04 Dec 2010

I do not know about Volume part of your problemm, but this will resolve the Safely Remove Hardware bit.
click here

OldRed 00:40 24 Jan 2011

Hi All,
Sorry for the long delay in response to the posts on this thread but have been ill, but have come across a solution to my problem that worked straight away and have had no problem since so check out this link.

click here

Thanks to all who responded.
Regards
OldRed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?