volume icon missing

Conny 23:41 20 May 2008

My daughters laptop is running Vista and she has lost the volume icon in the system tray. I have read back posts regarding this issue but they refer to XP. In the Taskbar and Start menu properties box the volume and network boxes are greyed out. How do I get the volume icon back in the taskbar please.

sean-278262 03:34 21 May 2008

Go start>control panel and then double click on the device manager. In the sound segment there should be an indicator suggesting that there is an issue. If this is so then do the following.

Depending on the make of laptop it sounds like you need to reinstall the sound card drivers. You will need to visit the laptop manufacturers site to download the drivers.

mooly 07:57 21 May 2008

Is it permanently missing, or does a restart bring it back for a while ?

mooly 08:02 21 May 2008

Could be this, look here click here and search for "clean up past notification icons in vista" I had this problem on and off and this seems to work O.K.

hiwatt 10:29 21 May 2008

Go into msconfig and make sure the HD audio box is ticked and the volume bar should appear when you reboot the computer or you could try this more complicated option.click here

hiwatt 10:30 21 May 2008

Here's an easier way to do it.click here

Conny 23:36 21 May 2008

Hiwatt,
tried your 2nd re[ly and it worked. Thank you very much. Also thanks to you others guys for replying.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?