VOIP on The Move

Gorillaz 16:44 19 Apr 2006

I am looking to upgrade my broadband account with BT to include the Broadband Talk VOIP to use both on my landline and also my laptop when I am travelling. I know BT are not the cheapest for calls but it is far easier for me regarding payments, I can just include the service with my quarterly bill. Questions I have are can you use VOIP using my laptop on any wi fi access point or would I be restricted to BT Openzone? Any recomendations on the type of USB phone to use, I want to use the phone on my office PC and laptop? Any other advice/pitfalls would be appreciated.

Aargh 17:41 19 Apr 2006

Thought about SKYPE - all you need is an internet connection?

click here

Find a cheaper ISP, unless you want an inclusive calls pakage

Gorillaz 17:45 19 Apr 2006

I have looked at SKYPE and Vonage, this would be my preffered choice, and the problem is paying upfront by credit card. As I said I know that BT are one of the most expensive but I do not want the agrravation of changing my business email address that is with BT.

remind 17:48 19 Apr 2006

click here appears to say that you don't need to connect at a BT access point.
This forum (click here) may be able to provide an definitive answer

Gorillaz 19:21 19 Apr 2006

Thanks for that remind, looks a really good site. One thing BT cannot confirm is that if I am in a hotel in say the Middle East and have wireless or broadband access on my laptop can I still use the service. This was one of the main benfits of Vonage, you can take their plug in box and make calls anywhere in the world.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?