VOIP handsets and usage.

geedad 14:42 19 Apr 2009

Can some forum memeber advise on the use of VOIP handsets with use through broadband?
I have a friend who is trying to reduce the charges for making land line calls from UK to Bahrain, but would like to know if a VOIP setup would be cheaper?
Any advice would be appreciated.
geedad

BurrWalnut 15:20 19 Apr 2009

I suspect it depends upon the contract. I have 2 VOIP lines which are free in the evening/weekend to numbers like 01.……. My normal calls are slightly more expensive during the day but I do not telephone exotic places like the middle-east.

Has he investigated Skype, which used to be, and probably still is, very popular?

DieSse 15:25 19 Apr 2009

If he uses an adaptor - which connects into the broadband lines, and has regular telephone sockets - then any normal handset will be fine.

Otherwise one can call via computer, with a headset, through a service such as Skype or Gtalk, to a telephone - OR - for free to another computer with VoIP - and then you can use MSN Messenger or similar services.

john bunyan 16:02 19 Apr 2009

Have a look at options on Vonage.co.uk - uses a box wired to the modem, then a normal phone.

geedad 18:38 19 Apr 2009

BurrWalnut
DieSse
john bunyan
Many thanks, forum members!
Query answered with great speed, as usuall!
geedad

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?