Vodafone Modem Stick

tonyx1302 09:57 07 Mar 2008

Good Morning all

I wonder if you could help with some info. My son lives in a flat with no land line and was thinking of buying either the vodafone USB Modem Stick or the Vodafone USB Modem to get him connected to a computer. Has anyone used one and if so has it been reliable?

Many thanks, regards Tony

MAJ 10:03 07 Mar 2008

Yes they are pretty reliable, depending on your mobile reception. Remember though that there is usually a relatively small monthly download limit, I think it's 3GB in Vodafone's case, so tell him not to be downloading too many videos and music files.

tonyx1302 10:15 07 Mar 2008

Thanks MAJ. He mostly will be using the pc for email/surfing. We found the 'stick' via the Vodafone site, but I don't know how to do a "click here" so you can see it and hopefully suggest which would be the better buy USB Stick/modem. He lives in central London so hopefully will get a good reception

Tony

ambra4 10:25 07 Mar 2008

Breitling

To do a click here You just copy the url of the site and post in the message box

tonyx1302 10:27 07 Mar 2008

Thanks ambra4. Hope this worksclick here

MAJ 10:32 07 Mar 2008

I'm not sure about the modem stick, Breitling, it's the USB modem that I have had a little experience with click here My brother uses one (with O2) as he is a little far out of town to receive a broadband connection through his phone line. The download speed is excellent and reliability hasn't been an issue, it just works. They operate by inserting the supplied SIM card, plugging it into the USB port and away you go. My brother's mobile reception is also a little iffy at times (he built his house in a slight hollow) but even with the older (3.6 Mbit I think) USB modem, he was still out-doing my old 2 Mbit, traditional, broadband connection. For your son's emailing and surfing, 3GB usage should be fine.

tonyx1302 10:39 07 Mar 2008

Many thanks MAJ your comments are appreciated but will leave post open for any further opinions

Tony

ambra4 12:03 07 Mar 2008

The USB modem stick is the present day way to access Mobile wireless you just load the

software install the usb modem double click the desktop icon and you have high speed

Internet via the mobile cell sites no matter where you are: can be used on any computer

once the computer have a usb port

The download speed is excellent once connected it like using your mobile phone once

you can get a signal you can access the Internet, there is no phone line, filters, routers,

cabling etc

It can also be used to network wireless wifi computers in the home or office

Kyocera KR1 3G Mobile EV-DO to Wi-Fi Router

click here

Take a read at this posting

click here

tonyx1302 12:39 07 Mar 2008

Many thanks ambra4 for your very helpful post. After reading your comments my son is going to order the USB modem stick from Vodafone

Tony

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?