Vnetsup.vxd message on startup W98

Indigo 1 19:50 02 Jun 2005

My friend brought his PC round which is running W98 with a few problems. He has uninstalled some software like Norton System Works as he no longer requires it and some games that won't run properly because it is old and slow, AMD K6 500Mhz with 124Mb RAM and an 8Gig HDD.

On booting it up we get the following messages (before Windows loads);

Cannot find a device file that may be need to run windows application.
The windows registry or SISTEM.INI file refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists.

If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstall or setup program.

If you still want to use the application associated with this device file, try reinstalling that application to replace missing file.

Also for Vnetsup.vxd, Vredir.vxd, Dfs.vxd and Vserve

I just hit Enter button 4 times and the PC continues loading Windows and everything appears to be fine.

I was getting another error saying, Unable to load the dynamic link library:
Msnp32.dll.

The system cannot find the file specified:
Microsoft Network

I have managed to resolve that one by downloading a couple of files and sticking them in C/Win/Sytem directory.

The only thing that I can not configure is the Network Card (Linksys Etherfast 10/100 LAN card).

Oh yes and he has temporarily 'misplaced' his Win98 CD so can't get them from there.

I have searched the net with Google but can't find a site to download them for free.

Any advice welcome.

VoG II 19:55 02 Jun 2005
  Indigo 1 20:13 02 Jun 2005

Thanks for the links VoG but they both require the Win98 CD which is not available.

Any more ?

Indigo 1 22:09 02 Jun 2005

Indigo 1 12:54 03 Jun 2005

I have managed to locate, download and install the missing files and the PC now boots normally.

Next job is to sort out the network.

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?