VNC - which one should I use?

Bansaw 10:20 01 May 2007

I am aiming to take control of someone's computer over Internet in Essex, (I'm in Surrey).

Can I use VNC? Which one should I use (preferably free...)
The user is not too computer literate, so I need something really simple for her. Just something as simple as giving me a password and her IP address is about as complicated as she can manage.

Any ideas?

P1d 10:59 01 May 2007

Personally I use the Personal Edition of realVNC available if you click here

The only issue would be that the client software has to be installed onto the pc prior to you trying to connect, it won't install it as part of the connection.

silverous 11:22 01 May 2007

We use RealVNC here, and the server version has a web server built in so you can access it using a browser.

I wouldn't tend to recommend VNC for remote access over the internet because the other party will have to open up their firewall and things.

A better bet might be something like GoToMyPc or Logmein or something of that nature.

click here

or

click here

silverous 11:24 01 May 2007

Webex would also be ideal - they have a trial.

All you do is send an email to the user, they click a link and you are in remote controlling their PC. What could be simpler?!

Not cheap/free though.

P1d 11:46 01 May 2007

To add security you could use openSSH, port redirect on the router (assuming they use a router) and put a password onto VNC.

rodriguez 12:29 01 May 2007

UltraVNC is better in my opinion - click here. Has more features than RealVNC and works properly under Vista (if either of your machines runs that). Also you can do file transfer to send files between the computers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?