VLC Player - Is there a 64bit version?

tAtu*! 10:29 21 Aug 2010

Hi all

Can anyone tell me if the VLC player has a 64 bit version for Windows 7. Been on the VLC player site and can not find any information?

Regards

Tatu

birdface 10:37 21 Aug 2010

VLC Forum gives this.

Just wanted to say i have been using VLC for a while now and its great as it plays everything you throw at it...so far anyway.
anyway im using Windows7 64bit and VLC didnt work properly at first until i right clicked on the .exe clicked properties and selected comaptability..then just selected Windows XP mode and ive had no issues with it since then. Maybe its the same for Vista (never used vista so i dont know). Ohh im using the 1.0.2 version

birdface 10:38 21 Aug 2010

VLC Forum.

click here

tAtu*! 10:45 21 Aug 2010

thanks buteman,

I am on Win 7 Home Premium which mean's I don't have the 'XP mode'

I am thinking of biting the bullet and just installing the 32 bit version and see what happens???

robin_x 11:41 21 Aug 2010

I am w7 home 64. vlc works fine, but it might install in program files x86 (32 bit)

In any event for compat mode in w7 home, all you can do is right click a .exe file/ select properties/compatibility select vista or xp sp3.

It is not full compatibiity but it works most of the time.

You should not need to do this with vlc. You can try it if you want, it wont break anything.

Apart from my modem and printer, the only thing i found that would not work under w7 was Nero 5.

(modem; AOL sent me a new router. Printer; I had to buy a £40 cheapie Canon from Argos)

robin_x 11:45 21 Aug 2010

oh and nero is ancient history now, plenty of freeware

click here

click here

also browse videohelp.com

Simsy 19:39 21 Aug 2010

You say "I am on Win 7 Home Premium which mean's I don't have the 'XP mode'"...

Yes you do... what you don't have is the ability to run XP within Win 7...

You can still run an individual .exe file in "XP compatibility mode". This means the file runs in Windows 7, but behaves as if it was in Win XP. As per the previous post, RIGHT click the .exe file, choose "Properties" and then "Compatibility"

What I'd do is run the VLC SETUP.exe in the mode, and then when it has installed set the application.exe to run in XP compatibilitry as well.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Simsy

rdave13 19:59 21 Aug 2010

Try Medias Player Classic 64 bit; click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?