VLC cant play mp4 - unless I open in browser?

theDarkness 00:06 21 Jul 2010

I have an odd problem, trying to play small mp4 and 3gp recorded mobile videos which worked fine up until today in VLC player, which now gives me just the video audio and a black screen.

The only way I can "fix" this problem is to right click on an mp4 or 3gp file and 'open with' my firefox browser, which bizarrely starts firefox AND vlc up again and plays the file perfectly (in vlc). I can also click on just about any file at all, and 1 out of 10 will work out of random, then the next 5 will be also ok, before reverting back to the blank screens (even with the same video files).

Ive tried to set "open with" for both VLC and windows media player, but ive noticed that my "open with" list still does not list wmp, which is odd. when I choose wmp to play all files, even though wmp will start up (with just audio and a black screen), the video icon for all videos still shows vlc! any ideas on how I can get my mp4s to work in vlc normally-is it likely to be a codec/player issue? thanks

robin_x 11:19 21 Jul 2010

Go back to 'Open With'

You should see a small check-box, 'Always Open With'
It is easy to miss.

Try that.

I also get probs with mp4s and 3gps. But they do work sometimes. VLC almost always works for me.

See videohelp.com for extra info.

robin_x 11:25 21 Jul 2010

MPEG Streamclip is a good utility,

But it is a bit old and a bit slow on some formats.

And you have to download a specific version of Quicktime.

I keep it for 'now and again'

Also trying my ATI Radeon Avivo Converter.

Which is very quick but was a pig to install.

theDarkness 14:49 21 Jul 2010

ive tried "open with", but it makes no difference, still a big black blank screen.

Ive noticed that I also get a blank screen playing dvd vob files in vlc, and they now only work if I, again, open the vob in firefox first (!) - then to be greeted with the "open with?" message, where I can select firefox, and it then works. Im not sure how I will be able to fix this, I dont want to have to open videos in a browser in order for them to work every time, lol.

Ive tried converting to some other formats as a tester, and bizarrely divx/avi works fine in vlc.
Ive also tried reinstalling vlc, but that hasnt helped- mp4, 3gp and vob are still a black screen unless opened in firefox :(

theDarkness 14:50 21 Jul 2010

the second sentence above should be corrected to "greeted with the "open with?" message, where I can select VLC, and it then works"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?