VLANs/Guest Networks - restricting access to my LAN

smudgesmith1973 12:26 21 Nov 2013

Hi all,

Having real trouble with this one and need some help please?

I'm using a Netgear DGND3700 as my main router which provides my broadband connection. One ethernet port goes into a Powerline socket which enables me to add 3 DGN1000 routers as APs to my home so that I have a wi-fi signal throughout (very old house, thick walls, only way to do it without running ethernat cables around). I want to set up one of the APs with guest wi-fi access so that users cannot see my LAN connected devices (Ipads, Phones, Macs, NAS etc...). I've changed one of the APs for a DGND3300 which supports guest wifi, but as this is set up as an AP, I need to check 'allow LAN access' in the wireless settings to connect to the wifi network as the AP needs to use the main routers internet connection on 192.168.0.1 (at least I think that's why).

Is there any way to set up an AP so that wi-fi connected clients cannot see anything connected to the other APs or main router? I'm wondering if I need to replace the main router with a VLAN capable router and set up 2 virtual LANs, but I don't know if I can establish 2 VLANs over one Powerline connection - i.e are the VLANs specific to ethernet ports on the VLAN capable router so only one could be used for the Powerline networking? I would need home and guest users to both access the internet via Powerline connected APs.

Any help much appreciated. Please note that I am network newbie to I don't get WANs and VPN (yet).

Thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?