Visual Basic Express 2006

johnincrete 18:39 20 Jan 2009

I've just downloaded VB Express.
I'm better at reading books and looking at existing code than I am with Help stuff.
I have no idea what VB is and what it's for.
Can anyone recommend how this complete novice can start? - books, resources etc.
Since I don't know what VB is for, I have no target in mind.
What I want to do is merely to administer a language school that is somewhate different from state schools. In the "good old days" of 4GL it would be a doddle but techology has moved on & left me behind. Acess comes close but I don't see how to do even simple things like printing to a format that I decide instead of Access doing it!

VoG II 19:07 20 Jan 2009

Have a look at click here

johnincrete 22:29 20 Jan 2009

Thanks. And thanks to PC Advisor that connects us learners with real, been there, got the Tee-shirt experts.

Books will still be a help to this old-fashioned pensioner!

Jim_F 22:59 20 Jan 2009

I agree with VoG™ for VB express but it does depend what you want to achieve.

For a beginner MS Small basic: click here : Is a good start and free.

If you want to manage data in Microsoft applications (Access, Excell Word) then VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) is a better tool and free if you've bought the applications.

Finally Visual Basic itself went through a number of changes, VB3-VB6 were a little more conventional.

In my opinion - because subseqent versions hooked into the .net framework and windows API's (interfaces to the operating system) they became much more powerful but require that you need to understand the Windows API's and forms as much as you do BASIC.

Sixosix 14:50 21 Jan 2009

You might care to take a look at (Visual Basic 2008 which is a later version) Ms VB 2008 by Michael Halvorson ISBN 9780735625372
I'm working my way thro' the 527 pages!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?