vista/router problems

douge 16:11 27 Jul 2007

Hello, i have just purchased a dell notebook, it has vista installed on it, the router i am using is a micradigital cable/dsl 802.11g.
I have managed to connect to the internet once using this wireless router, the dell wireless utility card can see the router, but when i try and connect windows says cannot find any networks !! Pls can someone help with this matter,
many thanks.

Ashrich 23:16 27 Jul 2007

Have only one facility managing your wireless connection , either the Dell or Windows , mixing both is a recipe for failure , in fact it is better to have Windows manage , it makes a better job the just about all the others . Right click on your connection in Control Panel/Networks , and select properties , click on the " Wireless Networks " tab and check the box that says " Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings " Ok your way back to the desktop and try connecting again making sure you enter the correct security code .

Ashley

Ashrich 23:24 27 Jul 2007

Actually I have just read again and you are using Vista ...and I've given you instructions for XP ! there should still be the facility to let Vista manage your wireless connection though .

Ashley

douge 22:37 28 Jul 2007

Thanks for your response, i am unable to find this setting in vista !

Dipso 01:00 29 Jul 2007

To get Windows to manage your wireless connection you need to right click on My Computer, select Manage then double click on Services and Applications. Double click Services and look for WLAN AutoConfig and check to see if the service is running. If not click on restart on the top left.

douge 23:40 06 Aug 2007

I have resolved the problem, i contacted Dell, updated the driver for my wireless card. Connected straight away.
Many Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires