Vista and XP Hardware and Software incompatibity

alnwrd 13:04 27 May 2007

Having recently purchased a new pc with windows vista I was disappointed to find that some programs and hardware do not work on vista. I am looking for the best solution to this problem.

I am thinking linking the two pcs together or dual boot on the new pc or whatever. Any suggestions

Forum Editor 13:42 27 May 2007

but it seems to be a retrograde step. I can't see much point in spending out on Vista if you're going to revert to Windows XP all the time.

It might be that manufacturers have released new drivers for the hardware items involved - have you checked on their website?

I can't help with the programs though, if they won't run in Vista they won't run, and there's not much you can do about it, other than wait for Vista-compatible versions to be released.

alnwrd 13:52 27 May 2007

Thank you for that. Yes I have checked on manufacutrer's web sites for new drivers etc. but nothing is available for my requirements. For example my Visioneer scanner is no longer supported and searching for a replacement scanner that is compatible with vista was unsucesful.
IBM's website for my Lotus 123 product does not show any vista support at all. I think vista is so new that manufacturers are waiting to see if it replaces XP before committing themselves to support or new products. Time will tell.

Forum Editor 14:02 27 May 2007

but I very much doubt that there will ever be Vista support in Lotus 123.

The news is better on the scanner front, however. I know for sure that Canon is producing Vista drivers for scanners, and you might find it useful to check out their European site.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?