vista to xp.

heepster 20:17 07 May 2009

I have an acer laptop with Vista installed. I want to remove vista and install xp.Does anyone know if and how to do this. Any advice would be welcolmed.I presume I would need a dos boot disc?

Terminus90 20:47 07 May 2009

Depends how you want to do this. You could boot from an XP cd and format the disk and install xp, but if you want to keep the software on your drive and just install the o/s then this would be more difficult. You could try installing XP as a second operating system and then delete vista when running XP.

heepster 07:51 08 May 2009

Hi Terminus 90. If only it were that simple. It should be , but it isnt.Seems vista comes with sata hard drive support and xp doesnt.That means xp cant read the drive. Still trying to sort it out, but it seems such a long winded way of doing things.

Terminus90 19:49 20 May 2009
  canarieslover 20:20 20 May 2009

Before doing anything else go to the Acer website and see if all the necessary drivers are available for XP for the model of laptop that you have. It is essential that you have all of them before installing XP or you will wasting your time with a laptop that at best does not run very well, and at worst does not run at all.

Zorgalite 22:24 20 May 2009

Hi. Also, if you do not have a floppy drive (probably dont) then you will need to slipstream the drivers in to your XP installation disc.
Look at this, click here
This is how I went about it anyway and it worked no probs.
But as said by canarieslover, make sure that you can obtain all XP drivers for your comp, before starting.
Z

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?