Vista Window 7 upgrade data loss

Terry Brown 11:48 03 Dec 2014

I am currently using Vista home Premium, and have the system set up the way I like it.

I have a windows 7 Pro DVD

My question is: Can I upgrade from Vista to Window 7 and still keep all my data (programs,mail + documents as they are now, or is it better to save all my mail + documents from the system drive, format and start from scratch. Will windows mail still work on windows 7 or must I change to the windows live mail?

Thanks for looking Terry

northumbria61 19:37 04 Dec 2014

Terry - personally I would format and start from scratch seeing as you have the Windows 7 Pro DVD. I purchased that DVD when it was first released in October 2009 and still in use. I think you will have less problems doing it that way.

Take a look at this Windows Mail - scroll down to see comments from David Ziffer and the reply below that.

lotvic 21:10 04 Dec 2014

My pennyworth: has your W7 Pro DVD already got SP1 on it? if not then I would suggest you d/load the .iso (official MS from Digitalriver link) and burn it to DVD and install from that using your product key. It will save you a lot of time and hassle with the updates. Heidoc.net links and scroll down for the English(USA) SP1 U media refresh versions

Terry Brown 10:00 05 Dec 2014

Thank you all for your replies

I was hoping to do a straight upgrade, keeping my settings and layouts as they are now, but it seems I will be better (safer) going the long way around and re-building from scratch again.

Lotvic-- Thanks for the link, I will download the file and burn it to DVD, however I believe the one I have is a 2011-2012 version so it should have some updates on it, just not sure what.

Northumbria61-- I have tried windows Live mail, and as I have seven different email addresses (for different purposes), I founds it often seemed to put the mail in the wrong box.If I cannot use the WM system I will probably change to Gmail. Terry

northumbria61 12:25 05 Dec 2014

Thanks for the feedback Terry and good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?