Vista to Vista sharing files

Edith 13:27 06 Jun 2008

I have never networked computers before but having just purchased a new desktop and laptop thought there would not be too much of a problem of being able to use the desktop as the place to hold all the files and giving the laptop access to them so avoiding the need to have two copies of a file and then keeping them up to date. However although each computer can see the other I am unable to access the desktop files from the laptop. Something appears to be blocking it. The network map on each computer showes a broken linebetween the laptop and the router. However the laptop access the internet! I am running Vista Home Premuim on both computers and use a BT Home Hub. Greatful for any advice or suggestions. Edith

ambra4 01:39 07 Jun 2008
  Edith 18:52 07 Jun 2008

ambra4

Thank you for your response. I have printed the pages off and wil try to conect my computers tomorrow. Unable to do it tonight as I am off out. Didn't want you to think I was rude by not responding. I will post a response as to wether it has worked later.

Edith

wrg 19:30 07 Jun 2008

ambra

Thanks for that I followed your link and was able to sort out my networking problems

Edith 21:06 08 Jun 2008

ambra4

Unfortuately, I am still not able to access the files on the desktop from my laptop. Everything seems to have gone to plan up to point 9 where I eventually get the message "your folder is shared".

However when it says that when you check on the shared folder you see two names this is not happening for me. Also the desktop computer cannot see the laptop computer on the network map. This is also the case for the laptop in that it can't see the desktop. Any suggestions?

Anyway thanks for your advice as I think the website you have given me probably has the answer.

Edith

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Graphic tees: 14 best websites to find your next T-shirt

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017