Vista & Very Slow Broadband....

gail5863 13:29 16 Jun 2008

I cannot find a solution to my pc problem. Vista, Broadband AOL - (silver package up to 8mb) Modem is wifi, but hardwired into pc- thomson speedtouch wifi, have the adsl filter fitted to main phone socket, have changed all leads, and adsl filter several times. Tested line and getting something like 222 on uploads and 22 kbps on downloads - ridiculously slow whether aol or internet explorer. Have tried starting without all start up programmes, but no different, so these re-instated, have now taken off Norton Antivirus and replacing with Nod 32 antivirus which is supposed to be better, but no difference yet.... spoken with BT they say nothing wrong with line, spoken lots of times with AOl, they say its that fastest line can go - so just one blames the other ,and I have ridiculously slow broadband still. Checked no viruses etc., but any more suggestions please? thank you.

brundle 13:59 16 Jun 2008

Check your line stats;
click here

Interpret line-stats;
click here

Try disabling TCP/IP auto-tuning;
click here

User-1229748 14:05 16 Jun 2008

Sorry if this is an obvious question but have you turned off and unplugged the modem for a few minutes and then turned it back on.

gail5863 14:10 16 Jun 2008

Hi, thanks for replying... I have turned my modem on and off lots of times, also changed all the cables several times, I have even run the internet directly from the phone socket without the filter and nothing changes, still deathly slow. Changed the adsl filter several times, and cleared out my pc / all old files etc., I'm just printing off the stats as advised and i'll take these home tonight and study them. i'm not too technically minded on these things, but there is no other help avaialable from Aol or Bt it seems, so I'm really at the end of my tether with this and thinking about just ending it all with AOl and perhaps going to BT who might be more helpful but I do like the AOL interface and i'm used to it, so that's my real last resort.

User-1229748 14:30 16 Jun 2008

I'm not very technically minded either but a lot of people on this forum are.If you post your results there are a lot of clever peeps who will be only too glad to try and help you,and will also be very patient,good luck :-)

ambra4 16:41 16 Jun 2008

Disable Ipv6 in vista you do not need IPv6

Download the pdf file will tell you how to disable IPv6 in Vista

click here

gail5863 15:51 17 Jun 2008

I have disabled the Ipv6 in Vista and followed the instructions, I really don't think it has made any difference. I seem to be 'waiting' for pages the whole time. Any more ideas?
Link Information

Uptime: 4 days, 23:00:01

Modulation: G.992.1 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 288 / 1,152

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 80.65 / 356.75

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 16.5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 52.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 28.0 / 9.5

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 382,040 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 10,035,480

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 6,872,340

This is the report I get from the SpeedTouch wifi router - does this show anything useful as I really don't understand the technical side very well.

ambra4 01:01 19 Jun 2008

Try this open up an Administrative Command Window

Right-click-Run as Administrator and type in the following command:

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

You may also need to type in:

netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled

The changes take effect straight away, with no reboot needed.

You can also check this site

click here

beeuuem 02:51 19 Jun 2008

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 382,040 / 0

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 10,035,480

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 6,872,340
These errors are high and would suggest that the line is not very good. My modem is tweaked for performance and I would expect some errors but nothing like yours.
Although I am open to correction the CRC error is when a packet of information is not properly received and the computer/modem has to ask for it to be sent again. The number of repeated packets would go a long way towards explaining the slow speed.

Do you have filters on all your telephones?

The Attenuation and SNR of the line indicates that you would expect to get around 4Mb/s

gail5863 09:33 19 Jun 2008

'Try this open up an Administrative Command Window'

Hi Ambra - I am not sure where to find the administrative command on my set up Vista, could yout tell me which heading it is under, thank you

gail5863 10:13 19 Jun 2008

I have one line into the building and i have the adsl filter on this, I have changed this several times, and even when I plug the telephone line directly into the phone socket, it doesn't make any difference at all to the speed. I have heard thought that AOL is going thru some changes at the moment & lots of people are having trouble with speed, so maybe I'm one of those!- aol's backup is just hopeless. I really need faster speed for work and I'm really wondering what to do next, whether to just abandon AOL and try a different provider. Trouble is I like the aol interface and I've heard other packages are thru internet explorer and using outlook.... and I'm not sure I'd like that (been with AOL for 15 years!).... change and all that!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?