Vista upgrade unsuccessful

OCRIDION 01:07 18 May 2008

Hi, i have a problem with installing vista. I have a Vista Upgrade CD, and a Windows XP Home edition PC from HP. XP being with the computer thus is OEM.

When i upgrade vista (Only on desktop, won't let me boot up from disk), it install successfully and goes on a roll with me sporting it on for 4 hours. It then gets to the point where it is 64% on Completing Upgrade. The screen then goes Blue with a Few white lines, like messed up graphic. It then suddenly restarts and says upgrade unsuccessful and rolls me back to my XP.

On booting back into XP i get a few messages about how it wouldn't install. Yet no explanation. I found the log file and it says a few failures but explanation. i got an error code in this log file that repeats it self. 0xe000020d

Eventvwr says an error saying it recovered from serious error (I was notified of this but no info). The error code from event vwr is 0x0000050.

PLEASE HELP ME.
I have 2gb, Radeon Express 200 graphics onboard, 80gb hdd (35gb free).

ran compatibility check before and i was fine. ???

help??

gengiscant 07:22 18 May 2008

Possibly a driver conflict,have a look here.
click here

More reading here.
click here

MAT ALAN 10:26 18 May 2008

there is a suggestion it is a preinstall issue, the fact that your O/S is OEM can affect this.

ERROR_INVALID_CLASS_INSTALLER is related to the error message you are getting. This error indicates that your device is missing a needed class installer.
click here

Having said all that a repair with a disc thats not OEM might solve your problem....

jakimo 14:28 18 May 2008

follow these instructions:-

click here

crosstrainer 14:32 18 May 2008

Your free hard drive space is also borderline. Vista requires more space than XP.

OCRIDION 23:10 18 May 2008

The requirement of Vista is 15GB, recommended 20GB.

I have fixed it. I have completed strip my PC of all peripherals and made sure all device manager items that may have been unsupported or glitchy was removed.

I then used the disc to clean install from desktop. It fully installed in about 40 minutes tops. Which is how it meant to be!

Now im waiting for it to finish deleting Windows.old. lol

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone