Vista upgrade and sp1

iscanut 10:34 25 May 2008

I have a new laptop running Vista Home premium and have had no problems at all. However, Windows update has not offered me SP1 automatically so there must be a device or something that does not like Vista. I ran the Microsoft Vista upgrade checker and it tells me that my GeForce 8400M GS will not work with Vista ! It obviously does as it is working fine and I have just finished Half Life 2 Episode 2 on it. Perhaps it needs a Vista version of the driver, but from what I can see, it has ! Very odd and for the time being I have not installed SP1 from disc. Should I install it or leave well alone ?

Pine Man 10:42 25 May 2008

Do not install.

If windows doesn't offer it, wait.

The problem is probably with a driver for your sound card if it was made by Creative!

iscanut 12:18 25 May 2008

Thanks, but the Vista upgrade checker only picked on the graphics card. However, I will wait as I do not see any point in installing SP1 at the moment.

Pine Man 12:23 25 May 2008

Good move. I tried it and, even though it appeared to be ok, it started to go wrong after a day or so.

User-1229748 13:13 25 May 2008

it won't be long before it's offered to you thru windows update,you're definately doing the right thing by waiting :-)

iscanut 10:11 26 May 2008

I have discovered that although I have the latest driver for this card, it is in a Samsung R700 and the Nvidia site advises that I should only update drivers via the Samsung site as the drivers are adapted and tweaked by Samsung. I presume that it is this that causes Microsoft to not recognise the card as non Vista compatible and thus not offer an automatic upgrade to SP1. I shall leave things be but thought that this info would be of use to other Samsung users out there .

User-1229748 10:32 26 May 2008

you're right because i read the same thing on an intel site about updating from your pc manufacturers site.

HappyTrucker 10:39 26 May 2008

Nuts, this may be a daft question (and apologies if it is) but how new is the laptop? We bought a new laptop a couple of weeks ago and it has SP1 preinstalled. Was Vista preinstalled or have you installed it over a version of XP?

I know you've probably checked for this, but I thought I'd better mention it cos it could take some users unawares that they already have the Service Pack, and could be waiting for it unecessarily.

For what it's worth our laptop is running SP1 with no issues at all, and even my desktop (which took it on itself to download and install SP1 (even though I'd originally turned auto updates off) doesn't seem to have suffered for the installation.

iscanut 10:43 26 May 2008

Purchased in April this year but not with SP1. Vista was pre-installed and the graphics driver is the latest according to Nvidia.

iscanut 19:51 27 May 2008

In the past hour, have just has SP1 downloaded to me by MS and advised ready to install. Have just finished installation and all seems OK. About 64Mb in total.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?