Vista Upgrade query

night 13:56 14 Mar 2011

Hi, I have Gateway GT5042b computer with Windows 7 Hope Premium on it at present; but prior to this, when Microsoft brought out Windows Vista, I qualified for a free Windows Vista Express Upgrade which I now no longer need. Can I lend this to a friend who does not have a Gateway computer but who wants to upgrade from XP to Vista?

Clapton is God 14:01 14 Mar 2011

"Can I lend this to a friend who does not have a Gateway computer but who wants to upgrade from XP to Vista?"

A slight correction - you do not upgrade from XP to Vista; you downgrade from XP to Vista.

night 14:20 14 Mar 2011

Maybe, maybe not; but does it work -that's what I'm asking about.

Woolwell 14:35 14 Mar 2011

Be surprised if you could. The offer has probably ended anyway.
Clapton is God is obviously a Vista hater. I found it to be an upgrade from XP.

Clapton is God 14:39 14 Mar 2011

I've answered your question.

As Vista is generally regarded as being a backward step from XP, what's the point of moving to Vista?

As a user of XP, Vista and Win 7 I can confirm that XP is much the better OS when compared to Vista. Although Win 7 is definitely a step in the right direction.

Why do you think that MS introduced Win 7 so quickly after Vista?

night 14:44 14 Mar 2011

I do have the Upgrade disc which Gateway gave me. Maybe we could get Clapton is God to use it as a guinea pig. If his computer crashes, I will have my answer.

Clapton is God 15:01 14 Mar 2011

"Maybe we could get Clapton is God to use it as a guinea pig"

Why would I want to use a disc as a guinea pig?

I don't like guinea pigs. I prefer dogs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017