Vista upgrade graphics card problem

iscanut 19:21 19 May 2008

Out of curiosity, I ran the Vista upgrade check and this told me no problems at all with my system except for the graphics card. I have a NVidia GeForce 8800GT with 640 Mb Ram. Message was

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT NVIDIA This device will not work in Windows Vista. For more information, please go to the device manufacturer's website, Windows Marketplace, or contact your retailer.

I thought that this was a reasonably powerful modern card ? Is Microsoft telling lies ?

mrwoowoo 19:34 19 May 2008

no reason why it shouldn't.
On the nvidia site,it has the vista 32 and 64 bit drivers for that card.
Also other members are running that card on this forum with vista.
The power of the card doesn't come into it.
Mines only a 8600gt 512mb and is no problem with vista.

Totally-braindead 19:37 19 May 2008

If you have reported what the computer says accurately then I have to point out that it did not say that it wasn't a reasonably powerful card. Because it is.

What it said was " This device will not work in Windows Vista" and thats something completely different.

Its like someone saying this engine won't fit that car and you thinking that the engine isn't powerful. Its not that at all.

See what I'm saying? It appears there is something in your PC that doesn't like the graphics card and I would check the driver first.

I don't know if theres a problem with Vista and the 8800GT but initially what I would try is the latest Nvidia drivers for Vista click here and then see what it says.

iscanut 20:08 19 May 2008

Thanks..I take your point re driver. There is an up to date one for Vista issued earlier this month. If and when I upgrade to Vista will bear this in mind.

mrwoowoo 22:31 19 May 2008

Other people on the forums are getting the same message with the 8800gt.
To get around it when you upgrade.
Uninstall the NVIDIA software, reboot your computer.
Allow Windows to install the standard VGA drivers, then
perform an upgrade to Vista.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?