Vista update KB938371 . Serious install problem

ianeon 19:08 13 Feb 2008

I have tried to install this update and have failed, apparently this update is needed for the eventual SP1 installation. I can download but not install, I have downloaded a standalone version, I have tried to install with my anti-virus switched off. I have "Googled" the problem and apparently this is a well known unresolved fault. Any help would be appreciated and you could be world famous if you can come up with a solution - Thank you - Ian

anskyber 19:40 13 Feb 2008

Have you by any chance installed or tried to install any version of Vista SP1?

ianeon 20:00 13 Feb 2008

Yes I did - when it was first released- but I couldn't get it to install properly so I dumped it

anskyber 22:55 13 Feb 2008

I thought so.

It seems that this problem is common to those who either have, or have tried to install the SP1.

I agree there does not seem to be an immediate solution, or at least not one that I can find. I will try one more time however.

anskyber 23:02 13 Feb 2008

Is this worth a try? click here

ianeon 23:09 13 Feb 2008

Thank you - But I had tried that - I did search Mr Google quite thoroughly - lol - Thats why I said that anyone who comes up with a solution could be world famous

crosstrainer 09:00 14 Feb 2008

That the latest round of updates Prepare us all for SP1. In order to do this ntskernel is modified. If you have already installed SP1 from another source, you are going to get grief.

If you can uninstall SP1 in safe mode, then boot as normal and download the updates. I have not tried this myself, and am unsure if the chabges to ntkernel files will be undone, but worth a try.

Then wait for the official release of sp1 to come down the Windows update pipe :)

ianeon 09:27 14 Feb 2008

Thank you for that thought - The SP1 that I tried to install was a legitimate install from Microsoft - How ever I have removed all traces from my computer( I hope ) - I have contacted Microsoft with this problem, hopefully they will come up with a solution

chop888 19:13 14 Feb 2008

I have had my laptop about 1 week from Dell. The update tried to install Tuesday. Got the same problem KB938371 Failed. I have not installed much yet and I have not tried to install the SP1. Hope someone comes up with an solution. I too have tried google no luck.

peter99co 20:14 14 Feb 2008

Valentines Day Update Massacre Automatic Updates
all installed ok EXCEPT KB938371.What now? I have not tried to install anything except automatics and thought I was safe. No tinkering with any thing so what has caused this cockup.

crosstrainer 06:36 15 Feb 2008

I have installed all the latest updates on at least 50 machines of various configurations and have had no problems. I wonder if this might be down to antivirus antispyware or firewall? What versions and products are you using?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?