Vista Ultimate loading problem

hssutton 16:07 26 Jun 2008

A couple of nights ago I went to shut down my PC, but after clicking the "shut down button" the PC froze, eventually I had to power down manually.
The following day windows refused to load, freezing at the point where the green scrolling bar indicates that windows is loading. Occassionally continuing past this point then freezing as the wallpaper appears (in this case the arora borialis wallpaper) the mouse pointer is active but the keyboard not, no icons displayed.

I have attempted to start in "Safe Mode" but the PC freezes after loading drivers, a message "please wait" appears at the bottom of the screen.

Placed my Vista disk in the DVD drive hoping to carry out a repair, The message "Windows is loading files" comes up, but continues to load windows and does not give any options. The scrolling green bar indicating that windows is installing continues for several minutes eventually freezing with the wallpaper displayed, again the mouse is active, but the keyboard not.

Advise gratefully accepted.

anskyber 16:18 26 Jun 2008

Did you inset the DVD then reboot the machine?

hssutton 16:28 26 Jun 2008

Yes, after first configuring in bios to boot from CD/DVD, also selecting to boot from Cd/DVD when reqested

hssutton 19:21 26 Jun 2008

Update

I didn't mention in my first post that my OS was on one of my 4 sata drives. What I've now done is remove all the sata drives and re-installed my original Ide drive with Vista Ultimate previously loaded.

Initially I had the same problem as with the sata drives, but booting from my Vista Ultimate disk I was able to carry out a repair, so I am now up and running, but without all my data which is on the sata drives.

Any help would be appreciated

hssutton 13:14 27 Jun 2008

Problem partially solved. It would appear that there is a conflict with Vista Ultimate and the sata drivers, which is rather puzzling, as vista has been trouble free for the past 18 months.

Will tick this as resolved and open another thread over on the Vista forum

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone