Vista thomson Speedtouch 585v6 Problem

Casera55 20:39 02 Mar 2009

Hi

Hopefully someone can help.

I have just got a new work laptop that runs Vista. I am trying to get it to connect to my home wireless network that uses a Thomson Speedtouch 585 v6 router.

I have 2 home PC's both on XP that connect to it fine. When I tried the laptop it found the wireless connection and after entering the password said it was connected but it brings up an error everytime I open Internet explorer. I have heard there are some problems with Speedtouch 585 and Vista. Does anyone know what to do and new download for the Speedtouch for example??

Thanks

mgmcc 20:45 02 Mar 2009

If it has connected to the router, what IP address does the Wireless Network Connection have?

FreeCell 20:50 02 Mar 2009

Not quite the same but I have a SpeedTouch 580 and had to upgrade the firmware to get a Vista machine to connect. I know that some have had the same issue with a 585 but if yours is a newish model then should be okay on firmware.

There are also different versions of the SpeedTouch 585, the latest being V7.

Check with Thomson site for latest firmware version. See their Vista support page
click here

Casera55 13:45 03 Mar 2009

I have today spoken to Thomson who have told me that I do not need to update my Speedtouch box as that should not be the problem. They suggested that I try and update the Atheros driver in the laptop but I did this and it says I have the latest version available. The chap on the phone from tech help from Thomson went through a few things and even when the ethernet cable was plugged directly into the laptop the internet would not work. He suggested I go to Microsoft but I have done this in the past and almost has to remortgage the house!

Freecell - I have looked at the Vista support page on Thomson but it does not make much sense to me and I cannot see the speedtouch 585v6 mentioned.

Tech Guy 14:45 03 Mar 2009

Casera55

I used to work as a techy for Talktalk and we used to have loads for probs with speedtouch (all models) and vista - they just don't like each other, each company blamed the other.

Best advise - go get yourself another router, save you loads for heartache.

Casera55 14:53 03 Mar 2009

Thanks........ my friend has an old netgear router (DG834G v3) that he has brought round so I will try and set that up on my system. I presume I will have to have the original CD etc to set it up though??

Tech Guy 16:04 03 Mar 2009

"I presume I will have to have the original CD etc to set it up though??"

No you don't need it. Plug in ethernet cable just log onto the router with 192.168.0.1, username: admin and the passsword should be: admin.

As the router has been used I recommend you press the reset button on power up to reset to factory spec: To remove paswords, firewall rules etc.

Once you have your username and password from your ISP then just enter it into the router. Save and exit, then you sould be able to access via wired.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone