Vista System Restore...... Won't !!

ianeon 14:59 18 Sep 2008

I run Vista Home Premium - I can create restore points - but I cannot restore to a previous time - Using Safe Mode the fault is still there - I get a message saying an unexpected error occured please try a different restore point. - I do this, but to no avail - can someone help me please - Thank you

Technotiger 15:19 18 Sep 2008

Are you by any chance dual booting Vista/XP?

ianeon 15:44 18 Sep 2008

No - Nothing complicated in my setup - completely normal working computer apart from this one problem

Pine Man 15:50 18 Sep 2008

I have had exactly the same problem since day 1 of Vista. I have tried every known remedy and all have failed miserably. You used to be able to reinstall system restore in XP if it went belly up but not so in Vista.

My solution?

Simple, turn it off and install Acronis True Image!!

J B 15:51 18 Sep 2008

This is just a long shot but have you been using a registry cleaner? If you have and not set a restore point before using the cleaner system restore won't work. If you have backed up what you have taken out of the registry you can restore the registry and then you can try a system restore. J.B.

ianeon 16:05 18 Sep 2008

Thank you for those thoughts.
JB - I always backup before I do anything and your "longshot" unfortunately doesn't work.
Pine Man - thank you - I shall look into your suggestion.

woodchip 16:08 18 Sep 2008

If you are running Norton, Disable it. Then Retry Restore

ventanas 16:12 18 Sep 2008

I did find this:
This error is caused by faulty imaging by the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) that
results in the presence of an invalid volume. To see if this is the problem, go to System in
Control Panel and open System Protection. There will be two volumes shown, one of which is
selected and named “Missing.” Selecting C:\ and deselecting “Missing” solves the problem.

Thisz seemed to work as well;
click here

The first solution, but more graphical
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?