Vista System Restore Fault

oak chip 21:15 09 Feb 2008

I have been having problems with the Vista Home Premium System Restore. The computer keeps unexpectedly re-booting, with an error message saying "Windows has encountered an unexpected problem and needs to close". Looking into the fault log, this seems to be realted to System Restore. The event viewer keeps listing fault '8193'. Attempts to open Sytem Restore result in an error message "The filename, directory name, or volume lable syntax is incorrect 0x8007007B", an refuses to open. Is this a Trojan, Virus, or what?? I have Kaspersky Internet Security 7 installed and Ad-Aware. Scans through both reveal nothing. Also, I don't know if this is related, but IE7 keeps popping up tabs and pages when on line. Any ideas, help appreciated.

mrwoowoo 21:45 09 Feb 2008

click here
I find reg cure the best for vista.

mrwoowoo 22:07 09 Feb 2008

Ccleaner is free software and recommended by many on this forum.
click here

skidzy 22:16 09 Feb 2008

" but IE7 keeps popping up tabs and pages when on line "

Sounds like a nasty !

Run SAS click here probably best in safemode.

Alternatively,if System restore is not working....turn it off,reboot the computer and enable System Restore....... is this better ?

oak chip 22:53 09 Feb 2008

Thanks guys for your reply. Neither reg cure nor Ccleaner is free (maybe you have to pay to get decent software??). I have tried SAS, but had to uninstall it as it crashed Vista startup. I will try re-booting to see if that helps.

oak chip 23:10 09 Feb 2008

The clue was in skidzy's reply!! I tried turning off System Restore - impossible!! It was already turned off!! I think what has happened is a security/anti-malware/anti virus is trying to create Restore Points. It can't as this is turned off!! I have turned it on, and will see if this solves the problem. Doesn't solve the pop-up though - but this is a minor irritation compared with random re-booting!!!

mrwoowoo 00:50 10 Feb 2008

Ccleaner is free if you download the free version and not the full version as there are 2 options.
click here

oak chip 21:43 10 Feb 2008

Thanks mrwoowoo, yes I got the wrong download!!! It seems as though problem is solved (fingers crossed!!). Thanks again for all your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?