Vista Stuck in Logging Off

Border View 16:57 24 Jun 2009

Friend ha a Toshiba laptop running with Vista. When she came to turn off her computer she clicked on the usual buttons and it indicated "logging off". She is not very computer savvy and thought this must be something to do with updates on close down.

Came back to the laptop about half an hour later and it was still logging of with the little circle spinning. In a bit of a panic she switched the power off and disconnected from the wall.

Each time she switches it on it still says logging off.

Sorry but this is all the information I have at the moment but I am going round to see her in the morning to have a look and would be grateful for any advice you can give in advance of going there.

If you need further information please ask and I shall try and find this out.

Border View 17:18 24 Jun 2009

Amazing what you find when you google this query.

Border View 19:39 24 Jun 2009

I have been a member of thi forum since about 2001. Whereas back then and until about a year ago, members of the forum would jump in to offer advice and help, I know because I have received help and assistance on many occasions and have even offered help, now there are frequent postings of advice of "have you googled for this".

I even fell for this one looking for advice on my problem about Vista locking up on logging off.

Surely to whole point of this forum is to offer personal advice to resolve difficulties. To say "google for the answer" is a shortcut and a case of "cant be bothered" or a wish to just post without the knowledge or expertise of offering a resolution to the problem.

Sad to think how things have changed to some extent in this forum. For those fantastic people who help at the drop of a hat I offer my sincere thanks and gratitude.

lotvic 20:26 24 Jun 2009

Try switching off by keeping power button pressed in for about 5 secs
Then take the battery out
Press the power button for about 20 secs to clear static etc.
Put battery back in and power up.

Check for progs not responding or still running before logging off next time.

Might work.

Border View 20:36 24 Jun 2009

Many thanks lotfig shall give it a go.

Border View 17:35 25 Jun 2009

Update: Tried pressing the power off button for about two minutes. Not connected to mains electric. After about five minutes pressed the power button to restart and it gave a brief message about not being turned off correctly (this message was on a blue screen like DOS) gave the choice of starting normally. Clicked on that and everything went back to normal. Everything loaded as it should.

Did think about a restore point but the only one available was about a week before problem started so didnt.

Also recommended to my friend that she didnt leave a 2004 games disc in the disc drive when she turned off her computer.

Many many thanks everyone for your help. Hope this experience helps someone else.

Barmoor

phono 18:28 25 Jun 2009

Now that the laptop is running properly it would be a good idea to create another restore point, just in case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?