vista stops playing dvd movies for no reason?

theDarkness 16:13 05 Jan 2010

vista has stopped playing dvd movies, it whirrs constantly for no reason. i found a link on another forum which took me to the microsoft website, it can try and test the dvd-drive, and it stated that the certain discs were 'not supported'. is it just damaged or missing drivers that work with dvd movies?

the 'uninstall' option in vista for the dvd drive drivers could not be selected beforehand, it was faded out so didnt work. after the above 'ms check' from the ms vista site, it can now be selected again (although it still cant play dvds). should i try and uninstall the drivers completely for the vista dvd-drive? perhaps it will search the net after an update and re-install the drivers once again? i do not want to try it and find out the dvd drive will no longer work at all as a result.

i have scanned the laptop, no viruses at all, so no idea why it suddenly stopped working with dvd movies

theDarkness 16:46 05 Jan 2010

ps its a laptop!

Technotiger 16:48 05 Jan 2010

You possibly need this, the latest Vista Codec Pack, download and install ...

click here

If it still does not work, try running a DVD Laser Cleaning disc in the drive (a CD Cleaning disc will be no good).

theDarkness 17:36 05 Jan 2010

i thought since the 'uninstall dvd drive' was not clickable in vista, that something must have corrupted or deleted the needed files required to actually run the drive. perhaps the codec package might solve it if it, ill assume only if it includes basic drivers that might work for more than one brand of drive?

theDarkness 17:38 05 Jan 2010

i found out no discs work at all, its a "windows cannot play the disc" with every single type of disc, cd/dvd/movie/audio/data

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

5 best 3D model websites

iPhone 8 vs iPhone X

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache