Vista start up requires disc

Reb 09:30 09 Apr 2008

Everything was working ok but I was having problem with windows updates, everytime I updated there was an error message when it rebooted and I would have to use vista disc and run start up repair. I went through the same again only this time start up repair says there is nothing wrong - but without the disc in I get File Boot\BCD - an error occured while attempting to read the boot config data.
I have now sorted out the windows update problem but have been unable to work out whats going on at boot up - I did try a previous system restore point but it didnt work and I notice that in the list when I choose a restore point boot info isnt included.
Any suggestions please it is really annoying me, thanks

anskyber 09:54 09 Apr 2008

Try,

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next.

4. Click Repair your computer.

5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

7. Type Bootrec /RebuildBcd , and then press ENTER.

Reb 14:19 09 Apr 2008

thanks, I did that but it hasnt worked - from there I ran /ScanOs and it came back there is 0 installs - so I tried /FixBoot which said it completed successfully but again nothing changed - I didnt try /FixMbr cos Im not sure if its a good idea or not .... what I dont understand is that if I have the disc in and ignore the 'run from cd' message it boots up with no problems so surely the information is there?? So should I run FixMbr? again thanks for the help

woodchip 14:26 09 Apr 2008

Looks like Corrupt boot,
click here

anskyber 14:32 09 Apr 2008

This is what Microsoft say about the MBR (Master Boot Register) click here it may work for you.

Reb 15:53 10 Apr 2008

I tried what microsoft suggested and also tried using easybcd but nothing makes any difference, I will have to consider reinstalling but I feel like there should be an easier way!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017