Vista start button disabled

HenryVII 11:46 01 Mar 2009

Laptop using Vista Home Premium. Fine until today, then the "wait" ring appeared on the task bar area, and stays forever. While this is on the start button is unusable, so the program menu is unavailable as are the task bar items and you can't shut down the PC. This happens at switch on, so no user programs have been started. As far as I know*, nothing has been changed since the last time that it was OK.

* This is actually my wife's laptop. She uses it only for mail, web browsing, playing solitaire and swearing at. Very dodgy area, is wife + laptop.

canarieslover 11:54 01 Mar 2009

Try tapping F8 while machine is booting to get into Safe Mode. Do a System Restore back to a date before the problem. Reboot to see if that has cured it. I would then run antivirus and malware removal software to ensure that machine is clean. Work your way through some of the tips on this link. click here . Good luck with the wife!!!

HenryVII 12:17 01 Mar 2009

Thank you, canarieslover. I'd forgotten the F8 option, since my desktop hasn't needed it for a long time. The linked list of software is useful, since I've been looking to replace some of the security software I have.

When the wife has stopped steaming, I will get her to try your suggestions.

User-1229748 13:02 01 Mar 2009

as a possible workaround you could right click taskbar-properties-start menu and try using the classic start menu

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?