Vista start up

machins 07:25 06 Feb 2009

Recently I have had problems with starting Vista.
To cut a long story short I have already re-installed Vista on my Acer machine and it is still re-booting after a few seconds, going through the repair system and finally starting OK. I can then turn off and restart as many times as I want during the day with no problems. However if I turn off at night and restart in the morning then it happens all over again.
The error report I am getting is as follows:-

Bug check c000021a
Parameters+ 0x9 1e34148, 0x0, 0xc0000001, 0x1003e8
Boot critical file is corrupt.

Repair Action: File repair
Result: Faikled. Error code = 0x2

Repair action: System restore
Result: Completed successfully

I am sorry but the above means nothing to me - is there a cure, or, as my retailer suggested, the machine should go back to Acer?

Any help would be much appreciated

mooly 08:26 06 Feb 2009

The last resort for you to try would be to reinstall the operating system. Acers usually have a recovery partition that will put the machine back to how it came out of the box. Usually accessed by pressing F11 or similar.. check your manual, which may well be on the PC as a PDF file... search under acer. It is a last resort though... you lose everything you put on the PC so back up to a USB stick etc first.

Covergirl 09:52 06 Feb 2009

click here;jsessionid=1F6F11115278A18F6AD0631EBA43411D.public_a_14b?LanguageISOCtxParam=en&ctx2.c2att1=17&CountryISOCtxParam=UK&ctx1.att21k=1&CRC=1797485490
if you can afford the 0870 number. {The alternative number on saynoto0870 didn't work when I tried it on Wednesday 4th by the way}.

I've just had something similar and got a response on this forum, after which I contacted Acer who arranged for a pickup. The Tech support guys will advise you about your problem - just read them the error message(s) and they should be able to tell you whether it's fixable your end (software) or you need to send it back. Explain everything you've done including reinstalling Vista.

Sounds like you must have already done it, but you can create new Vista discs from the Acer eRecovery section - go into Empowering Technology, then Acer eRecovery Management then Burn Disc then Create Factory Default disc.

Covergirl 09:54 06 Feb 2009

but hit the Click Here then click Service & Support from the top menu link. Phone numbers on there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?