Vista SP1 for stand alone PC

iantheking 22:29 18 Apr 2008

I have two PCs, one with XP which is connected to the Internet and one running Vista which is not (not allowed to go online with the Vista PC for work security). Can I download Vista SP1 through the XP PC and then burn it to disc or save it to a USB stick to get it to my Vista PC.

Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:45 18 Apr 2008

Here's what you should know before you install SP1. Microsoft recommends users fetch the service pack using Windows Update (a 65 megabyte file for most users), but anyone who needs to install the update on multiple computers can download a standalone installer click here (>450 mb).

Microsoft says that for Windows Update and stand-alone installations, the SP1 setup program automatically creates a system restore point before the installation of SP1 begins (system restore backs up critical system files). But Redmond suggests that Vista users "may want to back up any user data before you begin installing SP1." Vista includes a backup utility called the Backup and Restore Center that allows you to back up certain files or make a complete backup image of the hard drive where Vista is installed

iantheking 22:53 18 Apr 2008

It is the part of downloading through XP that concerns me. Can an XP system download and save Vista SP1 for transfer to a Vista machine.
E

brundle 23:03 18 Apr 2008

Yes, it's a stand-alone installer - download it just like any other file.

iantheking 18:02 19 Apr 2008

I'll give it a go.

iantheking 10:47 23 Apr 2008

Downloaded OK but can't install SP1. Get the error code 0X8E5E0147, anyone know what the problem is?
E

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?