Vista SP1 RC1 - big problems

ianeon 09:43 17 Dec 2007

Good morning - My "automatic updates" told me that the latest Vista SP1.RC1 was ready to be installed on my computer, so I installed it - That was a silly thing to do - It crashed my computer, lots of strange things happened, blue screen of death when I accessed Windows Mail/Microsoft Office 2003 Outlook - It changed my desktop shortcuts - programmes can't be accesed - You get the idea!! - I then used "system restore" in safe mode to access my computer and remove this SP1 - My problem is that Windows update still tells me that this SP1 is ready to be downloaded and installed. So... does anyone know how I stop this happening. I don't want this update for obvious reasons - Thank you for your time - Ian

ianeon 10:05 17 Dec 2007

Beta - Thank you for that it worked perfectly

wrg 10:55 17 Dec 2007

Beta

If you hide the update what does that do. I have been having a problem with an internet security update that once installed I cannot get on the internet. So I have changed my settings to download only.

ambra4 11:42 17 Dec 2007

If using which is the best choice,

“Download update for me, but let me chose when to install them”

As I never allow Bill to automatic install any update or software to my computer and allow me to chose if I want to install or not install

Once software is downloaded a yellow icon will appear on task bar, advising that an update is ready to install, double click and display will appear select “Custom”

This will allow you to see what software Bill want to install or update

You can allow or disallow by unselecting the software that you do not want to be install

Like IE7, Media Player, Etc

anskyber 11:52 17 Dec 2007

If some update is uninstalled it will of course be notified to you to install again, unless you have the auto update and install which gives you no choice.

Once hidden it means you will not be constantly told to install it. You can always show hidden updates in the future if you wish.

wrg 12:04 17 Dec 2007

I did change my settings to download only so this update sits there & I did uncheck the box. Will do as suggested and hide (not me the updates that is) Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?