Vista sleep : insomnia

surfer47 15:09 10 Jun 2009

I am using vista and I have difficulty with using the Sleep function.I select Sleep from the Start icon the PC closes down and the blue light on the PC power switch flashes, 30 secs (or there about) late it starts up again and goes into the mode with the Log In icon showing and the PC running. What I am trying to achieve is the way Hibernate use to work on Windows XP, am I doing something wrong.
Regards

Clapton is God 15:17 10 Jun 2009

Do you have any USB devices (such as the mouse) set to bring the PC out of standby?

surfer47 15:25 10 Jun 2009

Clapton is God.
I have a mouse on a USB connection, don't understand the "set to come out of standby" bit. I also have a graphics tablet (Wacom). Are you thinking of vibration on the desk?
Regards

Clapton is God 15:37 10 Jun 2009

"Are you thinking of vibration on the desk?"

No.

In the instant before a PC goes into Sleep or Hibernation mode it powers up again for a few seconds and, thus, attached devices (such as the mouse) also power up.

If a mouse is set to bring the PC out of standby, by powering up the mouse it is effectively saying to the PC "wake up, don't go to sleep".

Have a look in the power properties for the mouse and disable its setting to bring the PC out of standby.

surfer47 19:34 10 Jun 2009

Clapton is God: Found it! thank you for that.
Regards

surfer47 20:14 10 Jun 2009

Clappton is God: Ooops no good, did that but it is still the same.
Rgards

oldbeefer2 21:33 11 Jun 2009
  surfer47 22:58 17 Jul 2009

Tried some of those ideas but they got a bit involved. I tried selecting "Sleep" and as soon as the PC shut down I switched it off at the plug and that seemed to work ok. Mind you by the time it has finished loading all the things i had running it would have been quicker to swithc off and go back in.
Regards

surfer47 22:16 05 Aug 2009

Thanks for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?