Vista Security

mostconfused 22:41 20 May 2007

Hi, I am about to buy a new computer with Vista OS and have received conficting advise. I have been told I do not need to run Norton ( or equivalent ) as Vista is all I need - I have also been told I should buy extra "security" and switch off parts of Vista ( e.g firewall ). Can someone please help me on the security front.

Many thanks in advance for your replies

Totally-braindead 22:54 20 May 2007

Whoever told you you do not need antivirus is a complete idiot, and as for the firewall why would you want to switch it off.
Sorry but whoever told you this knows nothing about computers.
Strictly speaking you would have been better putting this in the VISTA Forum but I'll answer as best I can.
You need one and only one antivirus program either bought or a free one, thats up to you.
I would personally have 2 antispyware programs, theres tons of free ones just pick two.
And either use the Vista firewall or get one of the free ones.

Since its Vista you are talking about you need to make sure that whatever you pick is capable of running under Vista.

Run your PC on the internet with no antivirus is tantamount to computer suicide, it wouldn't last a week.

skidzy 22:56 20 May 2007

You have been told some rubbish im afraid.

Firstly Vista is good..very good.
Though you may experience some driver problems and some software may not run correctly.

You do not need paid for security.

Vista firewall coupled with AVG free antivirus is all you need.
Just add a few antispyware apps that are free also.

To secure your Vista pc/laptop

Vista firewall
AVG antivirus
Spywareblaster
Spybot search and destroy
Adaware

Vista comes with Defender preinstalled as your realtime antispyware scanner.

skidzy 22:58 20 May 2007

sorry mate cross posted you,slow typing tonight.Looks like i echoed your opinion.

Totally-braindead 23:00 20 May 2007

Always better for someone to get two people saying the same thing, acts as a confirmation for the poster.

skidzy 23:05 20 May 2007

Agreed Totally-braindead

mostconfused what ever you heard from the so called advice...forget it.

Ask here,you wont go far wrong.

Just remember,Internet security is mostly about common sense.

birdface 23:06 20 May 2007

Probably this they meant/.click here

skidzy 23:10 20 May 2007

valid point i guess,but not for me.
My past experience with these all in one programs...not good.

Totally-braindead 23:15 20 May 2007

Never thought of that buteman you may be right but it costs £37.99 and I have free progs that do the same. Don't know how good it is either.

mostconfused one care is not part of Vista its an addon, an antivirus program like the Norton you mentioned.

birdface 23:29 20 May 2007

Hi,Read a report on Spyware programs by Pc World,And they gave Windows Defender top marks with Spyware Doctor in third place.Cant remember the 2nd,They must have worked Miracles with W/Defender after all the bad publicity it received last year.either that or P C World must be getting some great deals from Microsoft.I think you are on Vista,Do you use it,And have they improved it.

birdface 23:34 20 May 2007

Yes I agree with you,But I do hear that they have improved it from earlier versions.I suppose the 3 months free trial will help make folk's minds up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?