Vista Restore

woodchip 20:09 11 Feb 2009

How do you turn Restore off, for Restore Partition? on my Sons PC it keeps popping up running out of Disc Space on Drive D:\, I think Restore is triggering this Error Message

woodchip 20:11 11 Feb 2009

He did find Restore For D:\ in Control Panel I think

rdave13 20:22 11 Feb 2009

I'm not certain about this buy maybe the D: partition is for restoring the machine to factory settings only. Was on my Compaq.
Might be a program on C: drive backing up info on the wrong partition?

woodchip 20:24 11 Feb 2009

All he was doing was surfing the Net and Pages started popping up to delete items on D:\ as it said he was running out of space

rdave13 20:37 11 Feb 2009

Check to see if D: is the recovery partition as it will only be a small size. Some program looks like it's filling it with data.

Taff™ 08:36 12 Feb 2009

It`s pretty much the same as XP. Go to Accessories>System Tools>System Restore and click on the link to go to System protection. It will check the partitions and tell you if System Restore is on for the D partition and the last restore point date. I presume you can then switch it off for that partition and this will clear the restore points, freeing up space again.

skidzy 08:45 12 Feb 2009

hope you bearing up ok :-)

If by chance this is the restore partition,and being written to...something is wrong !

Nothing should write to this.

My advice though one or two will disagree and have done this to my Vista machines is reduce the shadow copy,some tips here click here

Though following this procedure is easier click here

Something else to consider,is he using Acronis TI,and saving his backups to this partition ?

woodchip 10:27 12 Feb 2009

It is the Restore Partition, its a Medion with a small Restore Partition You can save file to to the bit thats left, but my son would not know how to do that. So only thing I can think of is being Vista System Restore keeps trying to create new Images for that Partition and there will be no room for that. I alway turn it off for all Partitions other than Operating System one

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?