Vista reinstall from DVD in Inspiron E1505 - help

pacman248 07:37 05 Apr 2010

My laptop failed to boot a some days ago. I tried the startup repair which did not work. After several tries. I decided to reinstall Vista from Dell's reinstallation DVD. I reformatted the hard disk and proceeded with installation.

The install process oges through all the steps. On the completeing installation step it waits for a few minutes and then the screen turns blank. Seems as though it is trying to restart but is unable to. The power led is on but there is no activity on the hard disk for several hours.

I then tried shutting down and restarting. It then says that the installation process did not succeed and that I shoudl restart the installation process. I tried this several times without success. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

mooly 08:04 05 Apr 2010

Do you have a hidden partition for a full factory restore ? which would be the best option as it puts it all back to day one.

Is the Dell disc a full Windows DVD or just a driver and utilities one ? or is it an "upgrade" DVD allowing for an XP to Vista upgrade.

Various restore options here,
click here

on page 104

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:23 05 Apr 2010

Dell Recovery Instructions
1. Reboot, and press Ctrl + F11 at the Dell logo.
2. The Dellâ„¢ PC Restore by Symantec screen will come up.
3. Select "Restore" or use the Tab key to highlight it and press Enter.
4. if you wish to continue, click "Confirm", or use the Tab key to highlight it and press Enter.
5. When the utility is finished, click "Finish", or use the Tab key to highlight it and press Enter.

pacman248 09:02 06 Apr 2010

Thanks! The PC restore option will not work as I have reformatted the disk. I must have lost the data/programs needed for the PC restore function. Hmph...I should have consulted you guys earlier. Any other ideas ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017