Vista Recovery

User-CB6C597F-1581-4FAF-8DFF3B1477396392 10:37 26 Jan 2009

I get the message Low disk space You are running out of space on HP_RECOVERY (d:).How do I fix this? When I explore the D drive I have a RECOVERY file, a MediaID BIN file and a File Folder with a lot of backup files. What can I safely get rid of?

anskyber 11:04 26 Jan 2009

Certainly not your recovery file. As to the others it depends on what the back up files are, can you give more info?

mooly 12:26 26 Jan 2009

Also run "disc cleanup" on the D partition and click the "more options" tab. Click delete shadow copies etc. Wait a few moments before confirming as it needs time to gather the info. This will delete any restore points etc on there that may be filling it up.

Pineman100 12:34 26 Jan 2009

If you have a lot of backup files on your D: drive, is your computer set to backup automatically, and place the backup files on D:?

I came across this problem once on a Dell computer.

If D: is your Windows recovery partition, I can't see that it's a good idea to be saving backups to it.

mooly 12:41 26 Jan 2009

If it's anything like my Aspire the HDD is split equally and the D partition is used to store image backups on using Acer's own empowering utility. Much like Acronis TI. The recovery partition is hidden and separate and is around 5gb in size.

There are a total of 15 backup files. They seem to be full of program files (mostly nothing important games etc. but some office programs). If I delete these will the programs still be on the computer?

I have tried deleting something unimportant and get the message "There is not enough space on the disk to perform this operation"...HELP!

brundle 19:37 27 Jan 2009

At the start orb/search bar type

clean and click "Disk Cleanup" when it appears in the list, choose `files from all users`.
Ought to clear some space.

brundle 19:38 27 Jan 2009

To clarify, type

clean

click "Disk Cleanup" when it appears in the list

Disk cleanup shows the recycle bin which is empty.
In more options, "system restore and shadow copies" deletes restore points only.

brundle 22:45 27 Jan 2009

If you have recovery CDs/DVDs with your PC you can remove the partition and its files, if you didn't get recovery CDs/DVDs, removing the partition may prevent you recovering the system if it ever goes badly awry...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?