Vista re install

r.s.logan 12:58 11 Feb 2009

Had to re install Vista . Computer Dell inspiron ,5 months old .Disc clean up shows " previous windows istallation 22.8 gb " .Have cancelled removal till advised . This explains why Anti virus prog. take twice as long to scan. Nearly all back to normal ,used to have on top of desktop a panel with internet conn./ recycle bin / media centre etc etc. cannot get this back .Could please help or advise .Dell said it was software fault and would charge £50-£60 to help re install .Friend said diy from disc which I have done.Very grateful for any help .

Clapton is God 13:37 11 Feb 2009

I would have thought that a 5-month old Inspiron would have a 'restore to factory settings' partition.

Have a look in the manual.

jimv7 13:44 11 Feb 2009

During the set up, you get the option to format the drive, doing this will ensure a clean install.

r.s.logan 16:22 11 Feb 2009

Had to re install as computer would not start up .Have re installed all programmes and dont want to lose them again .Assume restoring to factory settings would do this ? Should I allow disc clean up to remove "previous windows installation 22.8 gb " ???? Not computer literate and wary of losing eveything again .

r.s.logan 20:20 11 Feb 2009

No one got any thoughts on disc clean up ?????

Clapton is God 13:09 13 Feb 2009

A restore to factory settings will do exactly what is says on the tin.

The Inspiron will be exactly as it was when you first took delivery - but it will overcome any lingering problems and, of course, you'll have to reinstall whatever programs you'd previously installed.

"Should I allow disc clean up to remove "previous windows installation 22.8 gb"

Don't see why not. That's a hell of a lot of HDD space to recover.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?