Vista - Quick question re. 'repair' option

AngeTheHippy 09:13 27 Mar 2011

Morning Readers,

My lappy's started playing up and I think it's time to do a Vista repair (F8 on start). Question is, do I lose everything on my HDD? It's not a fresh install/format but I want to check with you anyway.

Happy Sunday,

Ange
x

Jollyjohn 09:47 27 Mar 2011

Before you start I would copy all your personal data, photos, music etc onto a cd / dvd.

You should get the option to do a repair that will maintain your data.

What sort of laptop is it? If it is an HP laptopp the back up option offered in the repair doesnt work. It does a backup of your data but it will not restore it when the repair is completed.

AngeTheHippy 09:53 27 Mar 2011

Morning JollyJohn, thanks. It's a Toshiba L300-1AQ and gradually over the past couple of months has had little 'niggles' - not loading an item on start-up, taking an age to start, n/work dropping- need to cancel connection then re-connect. The other Lappy in the house is still connected,when mine goes down.

Ange
x

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:45 27 Mar 2011

You shouldn't lose anything if doing a repair.
All it dos is replace windows files.

AngeTheHippy 10:50 27 Mar 2011

Ah! Morning Fruit Bat /\0/\, I've not delved into the intricacies of Vista before. This runs of Vista Home Premium. I know that editions have different choices, so would this edition allow just a repair?

A
x

onthelimit1 11:39 27 Mar 2011

Assuming you have the Vista disk, it will repair with no probs. Some guidance click here

AngeTheHippy 11:49 27 Mar 2011

Sadly onthelimit1, many manufacturers don't supply a recovery/Vista with their Laptops/PCs any longer. This is as in my case. I've just created another Toshiba Recovery Disc (also created when I purchased the Laptop) so this is allI have.

A
x

onthelimit1 14:06 27 Mar 2011

Hmm, got a feeling that that does a clean install. I got a Vista Home disc fronm ebay for not a lot which allowed a repair.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?