Vista PC Keeps Shutting Down & Rebooting

Joolsay 23:32 15 Sep 2008

Please help. My new Zoostorm is in a continuous loop of shutting down and rebooting, getting as far as the Vista logo and stating "Updates were not configured correctly. Reverting changes. Do not turn off your computer", before shutting down again. Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks.

birdface 05:59 16 Sep 2008

Will it start in safe mode.And maybe last good configuration or a system restore to a date before you had the problems.Or maybe closing automatic updates.

Joolsay 07:11 16 Sep 2008

Thanks buteman, how do I do any or all of these?

birdface 07:34 16 Sep 2008

Safe Mode.Just keep tapping F8 as the computer starts and it will stop in safe mode.Use your keyboard arrows to scroll up to Last good configuration and try that one first.or scroll up to safe mode and enter.Then start.All programs accessories.system tools.System restore.And restore it to a date before it had the problem.Control Panel.Security center.At the bottom click on automatic updates.Put a dot on turn off automatic updates.Apply Ok.Now those will only work if it lets you in to Safe Mode.Try them one at a time and see if any of them help.Did you download any new programs before this happened.Are you using Vista or XP.

Joolsay 07:45 16 Sep 2008

OK thanks buteman, I'll try this later, off to work now.

birdface 08:50 16 Sep 2008

Ok.Sorry just noticed that you are using Vista.I am afraid I do not know a lot about Vista so maybe better waiting for someone that does to help.

birdface 08:54 16 Sep 2008

Someone with the same sort of problem.click here

Joolsay 11:31 16 Sep 2008

I've just checked the thread suggested, but unfortunately this is a different problem to mine in that the PC does not allow me to even get to the start up page before it shuts down.

I am Spartacus 12:17 16 Sep 2008

If you have the Vista DVD then boot from that and follow the steps to use System Restore/Repair.

I haven't got access to my Vista PC at the moment so can't tell you the exact steps but I recall it's fairly straighforward.

Joolsay 18:24 16 Sep 2008

OK thanks, I've sorted it now.

Zel1 20:48 28 Sep 2008

Joolsay,

How did you sort it? I've got the same problem.

Thanks,
Andy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

14 best picture books for children

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017