Vista Outlook problem with "Not Personal Folder"

Mitch5062 15:28 22 May 2008

A friends PC running Vista Home Premium has a problem with Outlook. When trying to access Outlook an error message occurred saying "Not Personal Folder." After completely uninstalling Office XP and re-installing the same error message appears. The old Outlook window still appears showing all the folders that were there to store various catagories of emails. I thought everything had been deleted but that does not seem to have happened.
All suggestions welcomed.
Mitch5061

rawprawn 16:45 22 May 2008

Got these via Google may be worth looking at.

First try the repair tool, scanpst.exe, on your default pst.
Search, to include hidden if you cannot find it.
If you used the OL backup addin, the backup is actually only a copy of the
pst, by default named 'Outlook Backup.pst' To restore this pst it is only
neccessary to open it, within OL. You might wish to rename it prior to
opening it. If moving any pst's do not overwrite any existing pst's

Run the Inbox Repair Tool
1. Click Start and point to Find, or Search, depending upon your operating system.
2. In the Search for files or folders named box, type scanpst.exe.
3. Type the path and file name of the pst file, or click Browse to locate the file using the windows file system.
4. Click Start.

Back to the top

What the Inbox Repair Tool Does
When you run the Inbox Repair Tool on a Personal Folders (.pst) file, it does the following: • The Inbox Repair Tool analyses the Personal Folders (.pst) file directory structure and item headers to try and recover all folders and items.
• If the Inbox Repair Tool recovers the Personal Folders (.pst) file, it means that the repair tool found problems, and repaired what it could.
• The Inbox Repair Tool tries to turn any file into a Personal Folders (.pst) file. (For example, if you rename an executable file to "Something.pst," (without quotation marks) the tool changes the file to a mountable .pst file).

Mitch5062 17:17 22 May 2008

Thanks for your response although I have tried the bit with scanpst.exe and it returns a comment that the new "outlook.pst" file with a size of 0kb is too small to have any errors. I think the problem is that Outlook cannot access the folder where the outlook.pst file is located as immediately we try to start Outlook it comes up with two error, first is shows "Not Personal Folder" and then on the left hand side of the Outlook window all the previous folders that had emails sorted into various groups are still there and if you click on any one of them you again get the message "Not Personal Folder". So my thoughts are that despite uninstalling and re-installing Office XP the problem has not been resolved.

rawprawn 17:32 22 May 2008

I would try Uninstalling again using click here at full removal
,reboot, then run a registry cleaner such as CCleaner (Scan Registry)click here reboot again then try reinstalling again.
Sorry I can't think of anything else.

james789 11:22 16 Jun 2008

Hi rawprawn

You can also try pst repair software.It is easy to use and provide powerful recovery solution for your corrupted or lost pst. You can download the free demo version of the software from the site:
click here
In demo version you can preview 5 e-mails, 20% of contacts and calendar entries from which you can evaluated the efficiency & recovery capability of the software.

bipsa 08:19 12 Oct 2011

This is not a personal folder file error by outlook indicates that your PST file is corrupt and is therefore not recognized by the application. Here you need to have the files repaired at the earliest using the inbox repair tool, scanpst.exe. Here, you need to scan the PST file first and for this the utility has to be found out first, if having troubles with the same you may consider inbox repair tool download and follow the repair procedure thereon.

bipsa 08:24 12 Oct 2011
  Nontek 08:50 12 Oct 2011

bipsa

This thread is over three years old!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?