Vista OS: Moving Hard Drive to a Different PC

Funktion 00:07 31 Mar 2009

Hi guys,

I have a problem with Vista. A problem of my own making, not Microsoft's (for once) but a problem nonetheless.

I have just moved house, and unfortunately in my haste to get some music going whilst we sorted through our unending boxes I shorted the PSU of my ageing Epox MiniMe media PC, blew the motherboard and tripped the fuseboard in the house! In my defense, I think that somebody may have mistreated my little cube on the journey over here - it appears to have a dent on one corner that I don't remember having seen before. Anyway, after a great deal of swearing I'm now over it and accepting that a new PC must be obtained (since suitable Epox mobo/PSUs are pretty impossible to find).

Now my question is this: can my Vista Ultimate installation (from the old media PC) be transferred to a new PC if I can't find the original Vista disk? The HDD with Windows on is undamaged, so I know I can recover my data, but the OS refuses to boot - I guess this is down to Microsoft's anti-piracy 'beat those pesky hardware-changing end users with a big stick for daring to make any changes' attitude. I have had to boot from CD and repair the Vista installation after previous hardware changes, but as yet I am unable to locate the CD (it's not in my usual PC-related disk stash and we're prety much all unpacked now) and I can't get the HDD to boot on any other PC for obvious reasons.

I want to buy a new media cube, probably from eBay and probably without Vista installed since that will keep the price down. Once I have a new machine is there any way to swap in my original media HDD with a minimum of fuss? Since the serial# is located on my Vista disk case can I use somebody else's copy of Vista to run a repair if my own disk doesn't turn up, use WinGuggle or suchlike to pull out my own serial# and ring MS to reactivate? I'm damned if I'm paying full retail price for Ultimate (on which note, there's an ad at the bottom of this page for click here - looks pretty dodgy but for £20 for Ultimate seems like a good deal).

I hope you understand my predicament and can offer some advice (even if the advice is to suck it up and buy a new OS).

Cheers.

rickf 00:27 31 Mar 2009

HI,
I think you might have answered your own question. It probably won't boot up with a new M/B with new hardware. Have you tried googling this porblem. I have managed to find some obscure solutions to pC porblems. Worth a try. The link you provided looks very dodgy. It does say they are copies.

Funktion 00:44 31 Mar 2009

I've been having a browse online too and came across the Neosmart Vista Recovery Disc so I'm going to give that a go and then start asking around to see if anyone has a Vista CD I can borrow. From what I can see with a bit of searching it seems like a blast with a repaired installation may sort it out. I'll report back if it works just in case anyone else needs to repair an installation with no disk.

Re: that dodgy link - ironic that a site like that manages to get advertised on PCAdvisor! How is that even legal???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?