vista or xp on new laptop

mermaid25 18:41 04 Jul 2007

I am looking to buy new laptops for myself and daughter and don't know whether to get xp or vista. I don't want to spend a lot of my budget getting more memory only to find that vista is using most of it, ( have heard that vista is memory hungry!)
I am looking at laptops from dell as our main pc is a dell dimension and we've had it for 5 years now with the only problems being our own inexperience with all things pc!!
the processor and memory on the ones I am looking at is

AMD® Athlon™ 64 X2 Mobile Technology TK53

1024MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x512]

120GB (5400rpm) SATA Hard Drive

is this going to be any good

all views welcome
thanks
:0)

Kate B 18:47 04 Jul 2007

Vista - and you might struggle to find XP anyway. You might find Vista a bit unfamiliar for a few days but it's a much nicer and more intuitive OS.

Pamy 18:48 04 Jul 2007

You may not have any choice as Vista is the operating system of the day

rawprawn 18:51 04 Jul 2007

Vista, there is no point in looking backward when you can look forward to a good OS. As Kate B says it may feel abit unfamiliar at first, but IT IS the way forward and quite user freindly.

Technotiger 18:53 04 Jul 2007

The choices are in fact still available, depends where you shop. I set up Vista for friends on their new pc, personally I do not like it, and my friends have grown to hate it. They are now thinking of changing to XP - they previously only had '98se.

Technotiger 18:54 04 Jul 2007

PS - 'the processor and memory on the ones I am looking at is' .... looks very good!!

mermaid25 10:59 05 Jul 2007

Thank you for your replies,
what about Vista compatability with camera, mp3 players etc, that i've already got?

with dell you can have either vista or xp.
:0)

Technotiger 11:12 05 Jul 2007

Let us know the make/model of your camera etc ...

anskyber 11:16 05 Jul 2007

I am in the Vista camp. This may also help. click here

ventanas 11:41 05 Jul 2007

I wouldn't bother about any camera, just get a card reader - much easier.

As for the OS, why go backwards. XP is history. As for the machine you are looking at, I would double the RAM. Also check on how much graphics memory there is. If you get Home Premium you may as well be able to run aero. You need 256mb.

Technotiger 12:41 05 Jul 2007

I agree with ventanas about getting a card reader, but anskyber's link might give more info regarding your other items.

I don't agree XP is history, though this is only my opinion. Microsoft will be supporting XP up until 2016, by which time Vista will probably also have been overtaken by a newer OS.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?