Vista operating system

porkpiepete 21:43 24 Aug 2009

I have reinstalled Vista onto my desktop pc. I have done this before and every time i get sick of having to load all the updates. Is it possible once i have installed all the updates, to copy my vista operating system complete with all updates onto a DVD. So next time i dont have to go through all this.

X™ 21:51 24 Aug 2009

There isn't too much point, there will just be new updates the next time.

porkpiepete 21:54 24 Aug 2009

I know there will but at least it will save me 3 or 4 days updating.

OTT_Buzzard 22:21 24 Aug 2009

You could use something like Acronis true image to clone your drive, or alternatively and more cheaply, keep Service Pack 1 and Service Pack 2 on CD. They contain a cumulative roll up of all updates anyway. That way you will only have to update anything after the last service pack.

FatboySlim71 22:29 24 Aug 2009

A better solution porkpiepete in my opinion would be to purchase Acronis True Image for example and an external hard drive, then once you have 'installed all the updates' you could simply backup you computer with the Acronis True Image software. Then if you need to reinstall Vista you could simple restore it from the backup you would have taken with Acronis True Image, and also it would save the amount of updates that would need to be installed has they would only be the updates that had come out since you had took the backup.

You can get Acronis True Image from Amazon for around £25. It is the best £25 I have spent in a long time has it has saved me a number of times and is well worth the money. It is really easy to use and if you do get stuck they have an excellent forum. The forum I found very useful prior to purchasing True Image has I had a number of questions I wanted answered.

You can if you wish, use CDS/DVDs to backup to with Acronis True Image, but personally I prefer backing up to an external hard drive.

Here's the link to Acronis True Image on Amazon.
click here

Here's the link to Acronis True Image's forum.
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?